Desk exercises are a great way to get the kinks out of your back, but some still go home with back pains. Some forget to stretch during the day, others aren’t comfortable doing desk exercises at work.
Whatever the case may be, you can always do these yoga stretches at home, right before bed so you can relax and get a good night’s rest.
So grab a mat and follow these easy poses in order. Remember to breathe deeply throughout, and do each of these for up to 3 minutes.
- Begin standing upright, with relaxed shoulders and feet at hips’ width
- Tuck your chin to your chest and bend forward
- Touch fingertips to the ground or rest them on your shins
- Keep your legs straight or slightly bent at the knees
- Try to create a long spine
- Place your hands in front of your feet and bend your knees to squat
- Using your hands for support, bring your knees to the ground below your hips
- Shoulders should be over wrists and hips over knees, with a straight back
- Slowly inhale then exhale while rounding your spine and dropping your head towards the floor (cat pose)
- Inhale while lifting your head and chest, arching your back down so your tailbone is pointing to the ceiling (cow pose)
- Repeat Cat Cow for a few minutes
- Return to neutral on all fours and a straight back
- Extend your legs back so everything from the waist down should be lying on the ground
- Keep wrists under shoulders
- Gently gush the ground with your hands
- Lower your upper body and support your back with your elbows and hands on the ground
- Gently push upwards using your hands, forearms and elbows
- Push your hands and bring your knees back under your hips for neutral position
- Bring feet together behind you, then allow yourself to sit back on your feet without lifting your hands
- Rest your forehead on the ground
- You spread your knees wider to if you can’t reach your forehead to the ground